Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Styling Texts: Dress and Fashion In Literature (I need this book in my life!)



I need a hundred bucks like nobody's business to buy this book!

Covering a variety of genres and periods from medieval epic to contemporary speculative fiction, Styling Texts explores the fascinating ways in which dress performs in literature. Numerous authors have made powerful-even radical-use of clothing and its implications, and the essays collected here demonstrate how scholarly attention to literary fashioning can contribute to a deeper understanding of texts, their contexts, and their innovations. These generative and engaging discussions focus on issues such as fashion and anti-fashion; clothing reform; transvestism; sartorial economics; style and the gaze; transgressive modes; and class, gender, or race "passing." This is the first academic volume to address such an extensive range of texts, inviting consideration of how fashionable desires and concerns not only articulate the aesthetics, subjectivities, and controversies of a given culture, but also communicate across temporal and spatial divisions. Styling Texts is an essential resource for anyone interested in the artistic representations and significations of dress. - Amazon.com

If I had this book in my life several things would happen:
1.) Time spent reading it till my eyes hurt
2.) Outfit inspiration like a mofo!
3.) I would instantly become smarter and cooler
4.) Fascination/Theory transformed into substantive things I can quote and teach from
Need. It. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment